K-12 & College STEAM Booth
Thursday & Friday, March 2 & 3, 2023 at FSCJ South Campus
Saturday, March 4, 2023 from 10-3 at Sea Walk Pavilion
All students, regardless of which school they attend; collaborating with teachers, experts, organizations, local businesses and community partner.
Student booths feature scores of activities, displays and presentations related to STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math). Booth participants collaborate with local experts on mutual subject of interest and engage in activities. Booths are designated areas that include a table displaying STEAM interactive exhibits, expert recognition, as well as other artifacts that will engage festival goers.
Teachers facilitate student groups. Together they find an expert appropriate for their field of research/interest. The Jacksonville Science festival hosts workshops to provide guidance with the process of a great project based learning, student-driven booth.
We ask booths to adopt the science festival’s annual essential question:
How are we essential?
General Info for ALL Teams
***Our Science Festival continues to embrace sustainability and promote Eco-friendly choices.
Please minimize the use of handouts and/or giveaway items/ “swag”. We also ask you to conserve electricity and water usage.
- Science-based Clearly grounded in the scientific habits of mind (problem solving, reasoning, communication, and making connections.)
- Doable Deliverable at a high quality within the constraints of time and resources available.
- Accessible Engaging, inclusive, understandable to the audience
- Appropriate Jacksonville Science Festival is a family-friendly celebration and therefore all materials and activities must be appropriate for a family audience.
- Wow! Fun, exciting, cool, clever, experiential, and conveying the sense of awe and wonder that is at the heart of scientific discovery and achievement.
- A team of students connected to an “expert”/teacher develop, display, and provide a fun, exciting science activity that has been researched. The science behind the activity and or product is an important purpose for participating in the Jacksonville Science Festival.
- All K-12 schools in Northeast Florida can have teams apply along with their own experts.
- You can develop your own team with your experts with a group of students from your home school, boy or girl scouts, faith based organization, 4H team, friends and family, or other groups.
- Numerous Cash Prizes totaling $1,000.00 are available based on popular vote. Prizes are as followed by school level: High School $500, Middle School $300 and Elementary $200.
- A College scholarship of $1,000.00 to a single winning participant (High School Only).
A team of 6 students have signed up for developing the science festival booth/activity that is in an art installation piece related to the science of engineering. The expert meets with the team based on the agreed upon times and dates. In between visits your student team is at work researching, designing, practicing the related activity in preparation of your next meeting time. As decided by your collaboration you have your last meeting time with the student team a day or two prior to the opening day of the festival. The booth is prepared and the activity is executed as designed and developed by the student team and expert.
Booths Should Include:
- Wow factor
- Engaging Activities
- Integrated Learning
- Games that lead to STEAM understanding
- Open Venue
- Different facets of science
- Eye catching
- Well Researched (all booths)
How to find an Expert
As a student-driven festival we encourage our student participants to research and contact the appropriate expert of their choice. This action gives them real-life experience and confidence when they are faced with the real world networking environment.
Here are some tips to help with the process:
- Contact university professors of particular departments or courses. College students could also be interested.
- Contact local businesses, environmental protection groups and professionals in your researched field.
- Stay updated with our newsletter that will post new experts that have joined to share their expertise with students.